Saturday, February 18, 2012

More Movie Moments

Okay, so the other day the wife and I are at an auction and I managed to pickup a couple of cases of old newspapers from Denver Colorado in the from around 1961 through about 1979.

Now some of this stuff is really cool, and involved with the space program and things like that, and I will be sharing those when the time is right.

But right now, it's time for more cool movie ads.....



I don't know about you guys but a doubt feature of The Groove Tube and Blazing Saddles, would have been a good night out.

If you've never seen the Groove Tube, it was one of those collections of "R" rated skits that were so common in the 1970's and of which the Kentucky Fried Movie is probably the best example.




Here's Law & Order's Richard Belzer as the highly literate Koko the Clown.



I really enjoy the extreme's of the choices here. On the one hand you can go see a couple of B-Grade horror films, or you could show a "Touch of Class" instead.

Ivan Reitman, directed Cannibal Girls a few years before hitting it big with Ghostbusters and Meatballs, and you can tell even then that the man had a truly weird sense of humor.



Personally I'd watch Cannibal Girls over most George Segal pictures any day.

From a few years further back, Hammer actress Hazel Court was one of the stars of the naughty, Mary Had a Little...




It's sort of a drag that I haven't been able to find out much more about this little British romp, but it looks like good, cheeky fun.





On a different plane of existence completely is Paul Morrissey's wacky, weird and extremely gross adaptation of Frankenstein. DOn't let Warhol's name fool you, he really doesn't have much to dowwith the piece. But it's raunchy, violent and very odd, and I can't recommend it enough to lovers of Mondo media.



2 comments:

  1. First off, thanks for this feature. I had a friend who had to scan all the old newspapers of UK's library to digital, and the movie ads were his favorite part.

    With all the other choices, especially Blazing Saddles, I feel twisted for focusing on Mary Had a Little..., but I felt like an idiot not knowing what exactly she had.

    I'm probably on 18 different FBI lists for searching for it but the best I could come up with was that she had a literal lamb's tail.

    Maybe this was the basis for Jason Alexander's character in Shallow Hal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great.

    I hadn't been able to find out myself, but when you think of the title, that makes perfect sense.

    And I'm glad you like the movie ads, I have a bunch more to put up as I go. And you should see some of these Headlines too.

    The guy I bought them for was a serious follower of the space program and it really shows in this collection.

    ReplyDelete