Sunday, October 2, 2011

R.E.M. - Pop Songs


Peter Buck, Michael Stipe, Bill Berry, Mike Mills, R.E.M. (1989)


Heard some hipsters, attempting to show how cool they were making some jokes about the recent break-up after 30 years of one of the great American pop bands, Athens own R.E.M..

I'll admit that the band remained together long past their hit making days, but that doesn't for a minute change, just how very good R.E.M. really was.

Peter Bucks strong, classically tinged guitar work, along with Mike Mills and Bill Berry subtle rhythm section combined with the fragile Michael Stipes, powerful vocals made for some of the best songs of their era.

Let's listen to a few....

Radio Free Europe, Live on Letterman (10-06-83)


Also from 1983...


It's The End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)
"Offer me alternatives, offer me solutions, and I decline"


I've got so many songs by R.E.M. that I love, but the one that is probably my favorite is the bittersweet Pop Song '89, a song that I played a million times during my first divorce.

Pop Song '89 (1989)


So the band broke up and  R.E. M. is over, and that's okay, it's what bands do.

But I'll be dammed if I'll make fun of them for lasting a bit too long, as a band they were mighty fine.




No comments:

Post a Comment